跳到主要內容

Northern Kyushu Trip | Fukuoka Food | Kurokatsutei | Above Hankyu Fukuoka | Delicious Kagoshima Tonkatsu


Kurobuta (black pork) is probably Kagoshima's most famous delicacy, and Kurokatsutei (黒かつ亭) specializes in Satsuma black pork shipped directly from the source — at prices that aren't too steep either. I actually stumbled upon this tonkatsu restaurant a year ago in the underground mall at Tokyo Station: the place I originally wanted to eat at had a huge line, so I just picked a shop next door at random, and it turned out to be the best tonkatsu I'd ever tasted.

On this trip to Fukuoka I discovered that Kurokatsutei has a branch here too, and once I found out, I was determined to squeeze one evening into the itinerary no matter what — just to see whether that amazing flavor was real, or whether I was simply starving that day 😂



Kurokatsutei has four locations in Japan, with an average Tabelog score of about 3.5 across them (Kurokatsutei @ Tabelog), which is actually a pretty good rating by Tabelog standards. On Google Maps, both Kagoshima branches score above 4, while the Fukuoka and Tokyo branches I happened to visit fare worse, at around 3.5.


📜 Information

  • Address: 〒812-0012 Fukuoka, Hakata Ward, Hakataekichuogai, 1−1番1号 Kuten (くうてん) 9F
  • Opening hours: 11:00 ~ 20:00
  • Phone: +81 92-260-1177
  • Payment: Credit cards accepted
  • Official website:http://www.kurokatutei.net/



The branch we visited, JR Hakata Hankyu, is located in the food court on the 9th floor of the Hankyu department store above JR Hakata Station. When we arrived on the 9th floor, no other restaurant had a line — only Kurokatsutei had two or three groups waiting outside. Unexpectedly popular.

Tea and a small appetizer are served as soon as you sit down


After waiting a little over 15 minutes it was our turn. The interior isn't very large, with plenty of four-person tables plus counter-style seats facing outward.





The set meals aren't too expensive by Japanese standards, roughly 1,500 ~ 2,000 yen. We each ordered one: the Kurokatsutei Set & the Premium Loin Cutlet Set.

A set meal with a decent portion size


The pork miso soup was really tasty

The set comes with a bowl of miso soup packed with ingredients — not just pork, but plenty of daikon, carrot and onion, and it's seasoned and simmered beautifully. I was already impressed by it at the Tokyo branch last time.

Standard shredded cabbage



A small rice pot that keeps the rice warm


One nice touch: the rice in the set comes in a small pot that keeps it warm, so you open it and scoop out hot rice whenever you're ready to eat. As I recall, at the Tokyo branch it was served in an ordinary bowl.

Kurokatsutei Set

Premium Loin Cutlet Set


The tonkatsu itself was just as delicious, though I can't remember which cut I had at the Tokyo branch — that one practically melted in the mouth and blew me away. The two cuts this time had some leaner meat; the coating was very crisp and the pork still held its juices, so overall the balance was still excellent!

If you're in Fukuoka in the future and feel like tonkatsu, do give Kurokatsutei a try.




2019 Northern Kyushu Independent Trip:

2019 Northern Kyushu Independent Trip: Full Itinerary Overview

Day 1 Kokura

Day 2 Mojiko & Shimonoseki

Day 3 Yufuin

Day 4~5 Fukuoka

---

If you like my posts, feel free to follow the travel accounts below. I regularly share beautiful spots and practical travel tips — and recommendations for fun places are always welcome!

Instagram


Facebook

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

星宇航空 STARLUX Airlines | A330-900neo 商務艙 | 北海道札幌到台北 | 商務艙餐點與酒類 | 新千歲機場貴賓室

這次的北海道之旅是搭乘星宇航空,在規劃行程時,就打算讓這趟旅程更輕鬆一點,因此特地考慮升級商務艙。主要原因是航程約 4 小時,屬於中距離航班,若能在起飛後好好放鬆、吃頓好餐、甚至稍微躺平休息一下,整體體驗會舒適許多。另外的原因也是在票價部分,飛北海道航線比經濟艙貴大約一萬元,以旅程的品質來說算是可以接受的升級,最後就忍痛奢侈一下,選擇了商務艙。

北海道自由行 | Hokkaido | 不自駕自由行 | 行程規劃 | 景點介紹 | 住宿推薦 | 預算花費

提到日本自由行,北海道一直是一個特別的存在:它不像東京那樣熱鬧繁華,也不像關西那樣歷史悠久,卻有一種讓人放鬆的節奏,適合慢慢體會,但機票始終都很貴。 這次選擇在 五月出發 ,一來是為了避開人潮,二來是因為這個時候的北海道還沒進入旅遊旺季,機票、住宿都相對便宜不少 (洞爺湖溫泉旅館還是不便宜...),加上氣候舒適宜人,不冷也不熱,安排了一趟以 函館、洞爺湖、小樽、札幌 為主的自由行,希望用比較緩慢的步調,好好感受北海道初夏的風景與味道。

洞爺湖美食 | SoupCurry HLAHAL-ハラハル | 北海道美食 | 湯咖喱專門店 | 眺望湖光山色美景

眺望湖光山色 在洞爺湖周邊找餐廳,除了各家溫泉飯店內,在洞爺湖温泉區附近其實也都有蠻多不同的小店可以選擇。這次入住洞爺湖的飯店,在飯店附近找了一家看起來還蠻新穎,雖然網路上資訊不多,不過 Google map 評分也不錯的湯咖哩餐廳。